Categories

A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.

Last Lunch

To celebrate my last day at Keshev, my coworkers threw a little lunch party for me. Although most people work only a few days a week, everyone came in today to say good-bye. It was great to see everyone together in one space and enjoy a delicious meal and good company. Everyone brought a dish for the meal and we ordered some falafel and pita from a local restaurant.

Lunch was a whirlwind of multiple conversations in English and Hebrew. New conversations would begin in English and then shift to Hebrew as my coworkers became passionate about the subject. One of my coworkers joked that Israelis struggle to speak anything but Hebrew, even if they are fluent in another language. I wondered what he meant by this. From taking Yiddish I know that the history of the rise of Modern Hebrew is significant. The determination of Eliezer Ben Yehuda to revive Hebrew is an amazing story – Hebrew (along with Yiddish) united a diasporic people. I wonder if this history is still relevant today and explains the pride Israelis take in speaking Hebrew.

Also, just a fun fact. I learned that the table we had lunch on was the table one part of the Oslo Accords was signed on. I had never noticed it before, but there was even a small historic plaque explaining it on one of the corners. The table is old and falling apart, but my coworkers are very proud of it. I even heard the story of how the table was basically walked from Tel Aviv to Jerusalem because it wouldn’t fit in a car! This was a perfect example of how small Israel is. Everyone has some claim to history.

Nick

33 comments to Last Lunch