Cambridge School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture
The School was founded in 1915 as the Cambridge School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture, and was the first to produce women’s graduate training in these two professions, coordinated under a single faculty. Because women were not allowed to matriculate at Harvard University, the school ran as a “little experiment” in the office of Henry Frost, professor of architectural design, with only nine to twelve students. In 1924 it was incorporated under Massachusetts law as an educational institution. In 1934 the School was affiliated with Smith College as a Graduate School, retaining its own name and independent organization, but with the privilege of recommending its students to the College for the graduate degrees of Master in Architecture and Master in Landscape Architecture. Two years later the degrees of Bachelor of Architecture and Bachelor of Landscape Architecture were introduced. In 1938 the School became a part of Smith College graduate program. With the advent of World War II, enrollment declined and the Smith College Trustees voted to close the School. The Corporation of Harvard University decided to admit women to the Graduate School of Design program for the duration of the war. Students of the Cambridge School thereafter received their degrees from Harvard University.
For further information please see: