History Various lecturers taught history courses from the beginning of Smith College in 1875 until 1894 when a Department of History was more formally established with Professor Charles Downer Hazen as the resident head. Professor Hazen remained in this position until 1914 when Professor John Spencer Bassett became head of the department. Bassett was responsible for the creation of the department’s publication Smith College Studies in History, 1915-2003. By 1919-1920 the teaching staff included five full professors, two associate professors, two assistant professors and three instructors plus two readers.
For further information please see: http://asteria.fivecolleges.edu/findaids/smitharchives/manosca135.html