Russian The Russian Department at Smith College began as the Polish and Russian Languages Department in 1941. In 1942 it was named the Slavic Languages Department. Another name change occurred in 1948, when it became known as the Russian Language and Literature Department. Today it is called the Smith College Russian Department and includes instruction in language, literature and culture.
For further information please see: http://asteria.fivecolleges.edu/findaids/smitharchives/manosca163.html