Spanish and Portuguese The Spanish Department at Smith College was established in 1902. By 1914 the department had grown and was renamed the Spanish Language and Literature Department. In 1944 the teaching of Portuguese was added and the name changed to the Spanish and Portuguese Languages and Literature Department. The department was later called the Hispanic Studies Department from 1966-1967 until the 1981-1982 academic year when it received its current title as the Spanish and Portuguese Department.
For further information please see: http://asteria.fivecolleges.edu/findaids/smitharchives/manosca164.html