Buildings and Grounds
Smith College was incorporated in 1871 and opened with fourteen enrolled students in 1875. Therefore, most of the extant buildings were erected after 1875, though there are quite a few that date from the earlier part of the 19th century and even some from the 18th. The campus is and always has been a mixture of constructed and acquired buildings: Smith’ s first three buildings were Dewey House-former home of Northampton judge Charles Augustus Dewey, College Hall-built by the trustees as the first academic and administrative building, and Gateway House-built by the trustees as a home for Smith’s first president, L. Clark Seelye (1875-1910). Dewey was home to the very first Smith students and today houses faculty offices and meeting rooms. The present-day campus as a whole serves as an “architectural garden,” with styles ranging from Colonial to Greek Revival and Victorian Gothic to neo-Georgian, with a dose of “modern” styles added more recently.
For further information please see: http://asteria.fivecolleges.edu/findaids/smitharchives/manosca104.html