Red Masquerade

The Ghostwritten Book

In 1950, Calomiris published the ghostwritten autobiography Red Masquerade, published by J.B. Lippincott Press based in Philadelphia, PA. The book was put together by Caroline Bird (1915 – 2011), a writer and editor for Lippincott who signed the book’s contract with Calomiris.1 A letter from August 15th, 1950, sent to Kenneth Bierly from George Stevens, a Managing Editor from J.B. Lippincott noted: “As you may recall the contract is signed by both Miss Calomiris and by Miss Caroline Bird Menuez, and it seems logical that the new provision should apply to both of them.”2 In the 1970s, Bird went on to be an active participant in Second Wave Feminism.

An Anonymous Second Reader

In addition to Bird, Calomiris’ collection at the Lesbian Herstory Archives indicates that there was a second reader of Red Masquerade, who left no indication of their identity in their notes. It is possible that this anonymous second reader was Calomiris’ at the time girlfriend, Marta Robinet, who was a journalist in Philadelphia. In response to a draft of Chapter 9 in Red Masquerade, the unidentified editor urged Calomiris to be cautious in her use of suggestive language, and to be weary of Bird.

I believe I have recently learned- which could be picked up and abused and applied by some to the sex life of a wonderful, courageous, clearn young woman photographer whose name is author to the book. Angela, delta scrupulously any word, expression, etc. which might remotely engage any mind searching just for such… That “handsome” which you deleted could have bred a thousand unkind words about you. A book is a rather important matter when it’s object is to do service by relating a service and for its good and yours you’ve got to watch Carolyn’s manuscript, fine tooth comb it for every little innocent or subtle implication… I heard her make a subtle remark in the car that night— maybe you didn’t catch it. These tiny things in the book aren’t deliberate I feel sure but that spoken remark was. I believed you’ll agree that nothing even vaguely suggestive of your personal private life should be allowed to get through.
Angela Calomiris Special Collection, Box 3 Folder 9, Lesbian Herstory Archives.

“For a moment I saw Sylvia’s fright-affixed stare”— on the mounted policemen, that is. If you don’t like hyphenated description, use something other than “frightened bunny eyes.”That’s alright for a juvenile book but it isn’t good reading here, holds no descriptive power, has a varied connotation— I believe I have recently learned- which could be picked up and abused and applied by some to the sex life of a wonderful, courageous, clean young woman photographer whose name is author to the book. Angela, delta scrupulously any word, expression, etc. which might remotely engage any mind searching just for such… That “handsome” which you deleted could have bred a thousand unkind words about you. A book is a rather important matter when it’s object is to do service by relating a service and for its good and yours you’ve got to watch Carolyn’s manuscript, fine tooth comb it for every little innocent or subtle implication… I heard her make a subtle remark in the car that night— maybe you didn’t catch it. These tiny things in the book aren’t deliberate I feel sure but that spoken remark was. I believed you’ll agree that nothing even vaguely suggestive of your personal private life should be allowed to get through.

Fred Stein

While the main function of Red Masquerade was to protect herself socially and fiscally, Calomiris also used the book as a platform to help resolve the precarity of her friends. One of these friends was Fred Stein, a German-Jew who fled Nazi Europe and ended up in New York City with his family. Stein was a successful photographer best known for his street photography and portraiture. Calomiris likely met Stein at the New York Photo League.

In a draft of Chapter 7 of Red Masquerade at the Lesbian Herstory Archives, Calomiris included a section about Stein that did not make it into the book, shown below.

One of our more active members was Fred Stein, a refugee from Communism in Europe. He used to get up in League meetings, which were always lively, and warn us that art and politics shouldn’t mix. “That’s how the Russians and the Nazis get control,” he insisted. He was always booed down, of course, but when he resigned he wrote us a long letter stating his position in no uncertain terms. At an executive board meeting, we comrades decided to destroy his letter. Fred was a dangerous “opportunist.” Years later, Fred faced deportation as an undesirable alien. One of the charges against him was membership in the Photo League,  which the Attorney General listed in 1947 as a subversive organization, thanks, I hope, to my reports. Fred claimed that he had resigned from the Photo League, but the Photo League of course refused to corroborate his story. After the trial, Fred asked me what became of the letter which could have proved the sincerity of his protests.

In this quote, Calomiris is attempting to help Stein by removing him from his Communist affiliation via the League. Calomiris’ archive also includes a 1952 letter from Stein to Calomiris thanking her for her sponsorship of his citizenship, indicating that this was indeed Calomiris’ intention by attempting to include Stein in her publication.

Angela Calomiris Special Collection, Box 1, Lesbian Herstory Archives.

While the excerpt from the Chapter 7 draft did not make it into the final version, Calomiris did use a portrait of herself taken by Stein on the back cover. While less direct, a photo with his name had the same function of aiding him.

Reception

The book was very well received by the American public. The book participated in the larger practice of cultivating an irrational fear of Communism, thus inviting her audience to commend her for her great service to help take down the party.  She was celebrated for her work in newspapers, magazines, and radio shows. After the books’ publication, Calomiris received dozens of letters thanking her for her hard work for her country. She saved these letters of praise coming form Christians, interested women, and relatives of Robinet in her collection now housed at LHA.

Dear Miss Calomiris,

I have just finished the reading of your book “Red Masquerade” and I am simply thrilled with admiration of your courage in working with the FBI and the wonderful you carried on in a dangerous job with the kind of people you had to associate. 

I am just a humble American citizen who sees with the deepest concern the state to which this glorious country has been reduced by the machinations of Communists who in my estimation belong to the lowest order of animal life on earth. 

My heartfelt thanks to you for your patriotic service to our country.

My dear Miss Calomiris,

I have recently read your book, “Red Masquerade,” and enjoyed it very much. Fro the first time in my life, I clearly understand the function of the Communist Party and its aims and motives. 

I am a Senior in High School and out History class has been discussing the following question:

“How can we eliminate Communism without isolating our own Civil Rights?”

I would appreciate it very much if you could help me answer this question, for I know that you must have some interesting ideas on the subject. Thank you.

Sincerely, 

Francis Price

1. Angela Calomiris Special Collection, Box 3, Lesbian Herstory Archives.
  2. Angela Calomiris Special Collection, Box 1, Lesbian Herstory Archives.