Emptiness and The Dalai Lama

The branches of Buddhism debate with each other. They are conversations of different interpretations or stories that they believe the Buddha told. Emptiness, as we’ve learned describes lack of essence, or the interconnectedness of everything. However, these debates call into question the consistency of the religion in practice. What makes the most sense? While the idea of emptiness is consistent with the process of searching for the new Dalai Lama, the trends that carry through the first to 14th Dalai Lama seem to contradict the same idea.

The 14th Dalai Lama, originally named Lhamo Thondup, was two years old when he was pinned as a potential reincarnation of the 13th Dalai Lama. He was born to a farming family. One of the assessments that were used to confirm this was presenting him with a number of items, some of which had belonged to the 13th Dalai Lama and others that were not. “In every case, the infant correctly identified those belonging to the Thirteenth Dalai Lama saying, ‘It’s mine. It’s mine’. ” This test demonstrates how the conscious self carries through past and post life. If the next Dalai Lama was actually a reincarnated version of the previous, the candidate should be able to distinguish items that were theirs, even in the new life. Since most toddlers have just begun walking around this age, it seems impossible for the choosing of the correct items to be coincidental.

And yet, is it a coincidence that all 14 of the Dalai Lamas have been men? Or that all except for one has been born in Tibet? If everything is essence-less, then why would reincarnations be limited to any specific characterizing quality, such as gender, location, or even, a practicing family that agrees or follows the religion? On the other hand, perhaps these questions are arbitrary. A reincarnated Dalai Lama might choose certain conditions for their next life. The Dalai Lama talked about reincarnation, in that it is “a phenomenon which should take place either through the voluntary choice of the concerned person or at least on the strength of his or her karma, merit and prayers. Therefore, the person who reincarnates has sole legitimate authority over where and how he or she takes rebirth and how that reincarnation is to be recognized. It is a reality that no one else can force the person concerned, or manipulate him or her. “

Upon further explanation, maybe such coincidences aren’t actually a coincidence and are intentional, interrelated occurrences that satisfy the needs of Tibet, politically. The Dalai Lama is also a political power in Tibet. The 14th Dalai Lama has mentioned that he might be the last one, as it “depends entirely on the wishes of the Tibetan people. It is for them to decide… Even in 1963, after four years in exile, we made a draft constitution for a future Tibet which is based on the democratic system. The constitution clearly mentions that the power of the Dalai Lama can be removed by a two-thirds majority vote of the members of the Assembly. At the present moment, the Dalai Lama’s institution is useful to the Tibetan culture and the Tibetan people. Thus, if I were to die today, I think the Tibetan people would choose to have another Dalai Lama. In the future, if the Dalai Lama’s institution is no longer relevant or useful and our present situation changes, then the Dalai Lama’s institution will cease to exist. Personally, I feel the institution of the Dalai Lama has served its purpose.”

Sources:

http://www.dalailama.com/biography/from-birth-to-exile

http://www.dalailama.com/biography/reincarnation

http://www.dalailama.com/biography/questions–answers

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.

16 Responses to Emptiness and The Dalai Lama

1. Greetings I am so thrilled I found your blog, I really found you by mistake, while
    I was researching on Digg for something
    else, Nonetheless I am here now and would just like to say many
    thanks for a tremendous post and a all round interesting
    blog (I also love the theme/design), I don’t have time
    to look over it all at the minute but I have saved it and
    also added your RSS feeds, so when I have time I will be back to read a great deal more, Please do keep
    up the fantastic work.

Feel free to visit my blog; lawn mower clutch problems

2. Hi there! I know this is kinda off topic but I was wondering if
    you knew where I could get a captcha plugin for my
    comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having problems finding
    one? Thanks a lot!

Here is my site: bluetooth dart boards

3. I have been exploring for a little bit for any high-quality articles
    or weblog posts on this kind of house . Exploring in Yahoo
    I ultimately stumbled upon this site. Studying this information So i am happy to convey that I’ve a
    very excellent uncanny feeling I came upon exactly what I needed.
    I such a lot indubitably will make sure to don?t overlook this
    site and give it a look on a continuing basis.

My blog post :: ar night vision optics

4. Hello! I simply wish to give you a huge thumbs up for the excellent information you have got here on this post.
    I am returning to your blog for more soon.

Stop by my blog post – best darts brand

5. Heya i am for the first time here. I found this board and I find It truly useful & it helped me out much.

I hope to give something back and aid others like you aided
    me.

Feel free to visit my page; arachnid galaxy 3

6. Does your blog have a contact page? I’m having trouble locating it but, I’d like to send you an e-mail.
    I’ve got some suggestions for your blog you might be interested in hearing.
    Either way, great website and I look forward how to make dart board seeing it
    expand over time.

7. webpage says:

It’s hard to come by well-informed people for this subject, however, you seem like you know what
    you’re talking about! Thanks

Here is my web site … webpage

8. Agobiax says:

Agobiax cytotec misoprostol

9. Emilia says:

I really appreciate this modern political perspective of Buddhism, especially as it relates to the intersectionality of gender and ethnic biases. The questions you’re asking about emptiness as it relates to the Dalai Lama and the concept of reincarnation are extremely interesting. I suppose I am still a little confused when it comes to reincarnation versus rebirth, which I know was a distinction our professor made in class and I think could be relevant and helpful with grappling with this issue.

I particularly like the political aspects you brought into this piece, especially as it relates to Tibet and the regionally focused Dalai Lama reincarnation history.