Consorts of Manipulation

My post is in response to “The Divine Madman.” I felt confused, disgusted and intrigued all at once by this reading. However overall I didn’t really enjoy it. After reading it I felt glad that I was done with it. The constant reference to Drukpa Kunga’s “Flaming Thunderbolt of Wisdom,”
how he used it both to destroy demons and to liberate, or save young virgin girls from samsara, was both confusing and unexplained.
Did anyone else wonder why it seemed essential that his large penis, or “flaming Thunderbolt of Wisdom” be the consistent tool he used for implementing action, whether the action be demon fighting or liberating beings from samsara? I get that this may have been a scriptural document but some analysis explaining the significance of this text, presenting some explanation of the significance of it’s erodic nature, would have been useful for me in understanding the texts main point.
After reading it I feel like I exposed myself to a rather confusing depiction of sex, desire, faith and religion- and I am struggling to make sense of what I have read. I wonder is part of my confusion may be due to my American cultural context which ingrains the perspective of viewing sex with masters as taboo. Is having sex with a women how Drukpa Kunga transmits his blessings upon them? If this is true, is Drukpa Kunga a Lama that can only serve women? There was no example in the text of him liberating a man by sleeping with him. However there was an example in the text of Drukpa Kunga defeating a male demon by engaging in anual sex with him.
I feel like some relation can be drawn between Drukpa Kunga and Virupa. Both masters obtain new faith from devotees by demonstrating their power through obscure and often violent or erotic means. Virupa stops the Ganges river from flowing, torturing families with fear until they surrender to his power and cultivate great faith in him. Similar to Virupa in his causing suffering to innocent beings, Drukpa kills an elderly women, bringing much pain to her friends and family, until they realize that he has sent her to heaven and has divine power. Virupa’s actions for the most part remain in the realm of screwing people over with money or interfering with their daily life. However Drukpa Kunga takes things to a new level by killing people and sleeping with many devotees wives and virgins. A few minor similarities that can be drawn between both men is that they both fancy beer and both travel extensively.
After reading and discussing Virupa in class I began to accept him as a master. I find it even harder for me to do this with Drukpa Kunga. I think that the main reason it is harder for me to accept Drukpa Kunga is because of his sexual relations with women. Virupa’s actions were obscure, abnormal and outrageous, but they were primarily not sexual like Drukpa Kunga’s were; and it is hard for me to believe that sleeping with women is the best way for him to transmit his blessings.
However, in the second part of the reading the text begins talking about Drukpa Kunga’s consorts. And if he was sleeping with his consorts I don’t see a problem. This would also mean that the women he was sleeping with were also already fully realized and divine and were simply his divine feminine side. Meaning he was sleeping with himself, his feminine consort, his feminine form. Is this what he was doing, sleeping with his divine consorts? Or was he liberating ordinary women from samsara by sleeping with them? Or was he doing both?

This entry was posted in Uncategorized. Bookmark the permalink.