Spring ’17 Update: Emma Crumbley ’19

by Emma Crumbley ’19, Media and Cataloging Assistant

Hello! My name is Emma and I am an assistant in the Imaging Center.  This semester I am working largely with the equipment here, facilitating checkouts on Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 12-1.   I am a declared Art History major, and soon to double major in English. I really enjoy when I get to work with the slides and prints we have in the Imaging Center, as well as learning about equipment and new software to use for creative projects.

Last semester I made a 3D printed pinhole camera. I found the design for the body online and modified it on Tinkercad, and then printed, assembled, and painted it.   Although the camera looks pretty rad from the outside (see image below) I can’t be sure that it is completely functional until I develop the film and see if the images actually came out, and if there are any issues like light leaks.  I haven’t yet had the chance to process the film I have attempted to expose but I will update you when I do.  Making this camera was really fun and not as challenging as it looks, and I would love to help anyone who is interested in making a camera of their own!