Categories

A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.

Why a women’s college?

Yesterday, we visited the Hind al-Husseini College for Women (part of Al Quds University), where we met an amazing group of women not unlike ourselves. After a brief introduction, the Dean of the College wanted to know why we chose a women’s college. Having gotten this question many times when giving tours to prospective students, I was prepared with my answer.

As a transfer student from the University of Alabama, I’ve often witnessed (or been one of) women too nervous to answer questions in front of their male counterparts. Often it’s either because we were afraid of being incorrect or for losing our crucial role of being subservient yet sexy. Of course, that’s a generalization, but gender roles are often magnified in the South. Moreover, I saw countless leadership positions go to men. When speaking with female politicians in the state, I was told time and again that they had never planned to run for office until someone urged them to do so. I simply didn’t see the take-charge attitude among my female peers, a trait I desperately wanted to cultivate. At Smith, I’ve finally found a place to develop my own voice. I can speak up in class, I can run for SGA cabinet, and, most importantly, I can be wrong.

Interestingly, many of the Palestinian women shared my experiences, albeit in a different setting. Many had started their studies at the main campus of Al Quds University, where they had experienced similar difficulties. Men often dominated the conversation or, contrastingly, took little interest in their education at all. Either way, many women felt uncomfortable speaking up in class.

I was surprised when one of the women expressed the notion that women tend to value education more than men do. Given the fact that fifty percent of Palestinian boys in grades 5-12 drop out of school (compared to 30% of girls), it is clear that education can be put on the back-burner for many young men and women in Palestine.

Another woman discussed her reasons for attending the women’s college, rather than Al Quds; she said that one reason is to disestablish the patriarchy in her culture. I did a double take, as her rhetoric made her sound an awful lot like my fellow Smithies. (I was half-expecting her to launch a rant about heteronormativity and social constructs.)

Finally, I found it interesting that most of the women already had husbands and young children. Even though they already had important family duties, education is still a priority. Even though the college is not accredited by the Israeli government, these women keep coming. Even though they will likely not find a job in West Jerusalem, these women keep coming. They treasure education for the same reasons we Smithies do. We can challenge societal norms; we can speak up; and most importantly, we can find our voice.

-Kenzi