Categories

A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.

My interview got koofed, y’all.

So in my last post, I was being a snob and talking about how I was writing to you plebes from the VIP room at the Israeli Presidential Conference. Man, they had panini and free soda and tons of salad, while all the “normals” had to pay for their stuff. Pathetic. So as my nose rose even further into the air, I prepped for my interview with Tom Rogers, the CEO of TiVo.

Yeah, I don’t know much about TiVo, other than the fact that I can pause to pee, which is nice. But Tom Rogers is also one of the founders of MSNBC, so I was pretty stoked to have a shot with Rachel Maddow (FINALLY!). I had done my research and had put a lot of effort into my questions, and I was feeling pretty confident that I wouldn’t fall immediately to his feet and beg to meet Rachel.

So once we sat down to have chitty chat time (that’s official newsroom slang for “an interview”), I was like Cool Hand Luke or whatever. We chatted about Smith, the 5-colleges, and Massachusetts. Then I asked my first question, took diligent notes while he gave a great answer, and nodded at all the important bits.

Just as I was beginning to ask question numero dos, a gentleman strode up to us, thrust his hand into Mr. Rogers’s, and said, “I’m so sorry I’m late; I’m Blah-Blah with the Jerusalem Post.” (Yes, I missed his name; it becomes important later…)

Um, okay. So I didn’t realize I was supposed to be sharing my interview. He asked a bunch of questions that had big words like stockholders and convertible bonds and software. My poor little fingers couldn’t keep up on the keyboard. I had a bunch of sentence fragments like “is important in new development of…” and “software not hardware…customers.” Needless to say, I couldn’t use much of it.

When I got back to the office, the news editor asked me if I got some good stuff. I said, “Um, well, I actually didn’t realize that another reporter would be there.”

He said, “What? Who?”

Me: “I didn’t catch his name. But I do know he’s from California, and he said he writes for business and tech.”

The news editor mentioned a few names, none of which sounded at all familiar. I went and Googled my heart out, but to no avail. I could NOT remember this guy’s name. (Inattention to detail is a GREAT quality in a journalist, let me tell you.) So finally, NE (short for news editor because I’m getting tired of typing that) called the PR guy at the conference and found out the guy’s last name, which I will now change to protect the (possibly) innocent. “Stanford? I don’t know anyone with that name.” He asked the editor in chief. He asked the incoming editor in chief. He asked the mag editor. No one had ever heard of this dude.

I did a little more Google magic and finally tracked the guy down. He had written like TWO blog posts for the Post, and one was about lesbian barbies or something. Business and tech my butt. Turns out it’s against policy for bloggers to represent themselves as JPost reporters.

So basically, I looked like a dumb intern who got overly eager and decided to interview Mr. Rogers before the REAL reporter got there. I feel so foolish. NOW I’LL NEVER MEET RACHEL!

-Kenzi