Categories

A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.

Lunch Explorations

I have an hour-long lunch break which permits me to do some exploring around Jerusalem. Some days when I am exhausted I will walk to a nearby park and eat my lunch and nap, but this usually isn’t the case. I figure I only have a limited time in Jerusalem, so why not make the most of it. On my walks I always encounter interesting people, food, stores and neighborhoods. Most days I end up wandering down alleys and side streets because the main streets are lined with industrial or commercial buildings, which are not exactly aesthetically pleasing. Some times I will be yelled at or confronted because some of the alleys are actually private property, but I quickly leave and crisis averted.

Today the 72 bus went a different way. I’m not sure if it missed the turn or if it was avoiding construction. Everyone was very angry and yelling at the driver because he skipped at least five stops and made everyone late. I didn’t mind though because he drove through a scenic neighborhood. This neighborhood had beautiful single-family homes that had spacious yards (by city standards at least) and lots of shrubbery. Eventually the road led to Emek Refaim, also known as the main street of the German Colony. I knew that the German Colony was close to where I worked (Baka), but I wasn’t sure in which direction it was relative to it. This detour made me realize how close it was, so during lunch I set out to find it. Thankfully, I have an impeccable sense of direction and after about 15 minutes I found Emek Refiam. I know some other people have mentioned this, but I also am realizing that Jerusalem is a small city and fairly commutable by foot. Sometimes I wish it wasn’t so hot so I could explore by foot all day. As an avid biker I also wish it wasn’t so hilly because I could see a lot more of the city by bike. Another mode of transportation besides walking would also come in handy on Shabbat.

Nick

2 comments to Lunch Explorations

• drdivine

Lots more bikes on Jerusalem streets than there were in the past. So, hills are not a total deterrence to bikes. There is also an annual week long bike ride from a bit south of Tel Aviv into the Negev raising money for some charities–camps for Arab and Jewish children with cancer. A friend of mine does it every year.

• Gems form the internet

[…]very few websites that happen to be detailed below, from our point of view are undoubtedly well worth checking out[…]…