Categories

A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.

Meeting Up After the Dig

This past Saturday Nick and I met up with two of my fellow diggers at the dig, Aviv and Juliette. Aviv is originally from Florida but made aliyah about six years ago, he is now studying to become a tour guide while working at the dig. Juliette is new to the dig, she had been living in Jerusalem working for the UN but has decided to go back to school for archaeology.

Because it was a Saturday night most things were still closed for Shabbat so we went to the Muslim Quarter. We started at the French Hospice because the view of the old city from the restaurant was really amazing. From the French Hospice we went into the Muslim Quarter and went to the Church of the Holy Sepulchre. We walked through many of the chapels for the other denominations, such as the two Ethiopian chapels. I always like walking through some of the chapels other than the main area; it gives me a much better understanding of how large the entire complex is. When we went into the main area there was a Greek Orthodox service of some sort going on. Nick and I chose to go sit and watch instead of walking around. Aviv, in true tour guide manner insisted for a bit that we stay together but eventually gave up. After the church Aviv took us to his favorite place for konafeh, which was of course delicious and the Austrian Hospice. The Austrian Hospice was really beautiful, we got a drink and sat in their café and then headed to the roof to see the sun set.

Because we were in the Muslim Quarter we were extremely close to the Temple Mount and the Dome of the Rock. However, while I knew this I don’t think I really understood how close until we were standing on the roof. I think that that was the closest I had ever been to it with the exception of being on Temple Mount and when we went into the Dome of the Rock earlier in the seminar.

Seeing Aviv and Juliette outside of the dig was really fun, but I have started spending more and more time with people from the dig outside of the dig and I really like all of them, they’re a good group of people.

~Sarah

32 comments to Meeting Up After the Dig