Categories

A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.

Unsafe Areas?

In the past two weeks, the dig has gotten many new workers and volunteers. One of the new volunteers is a student who also lives at the student village. Consequently, we would travel to and from the dig together. The first day she seemed extremely uncomfortable because we would take the light rail to Damascus Gate and the walk through the Arab market to reach the dig. When I asked her why she felt so obviously uncomfortable walking through the market (I use a messenger bag and on multiple occasions she suggested I move it so that it was on my stomach instead of my back) she gave the answer I was anticipating.

She replied that the group she was in Jerusalem with had an orientation before being left to their work. In this orientation they were told that the Arab market as well as parts of East Jerusalem were extremely unsafe and dangerous for non-Arabs and they should avoid them in the city. This frustrates me for two reasons.

The first reason is that many of the areas she was warned about, especially the Arab market are completely safe for any and all people living or traveling within Jerusalem. When I walk through the market I see Muslims, Jews (members of the Haredi included), and many, many tourists. Furthermore I have never at any point felt uncomfortable, unsafe, or threatened while walking through an Arab area of the city.

The second reason this frustrated me, even more so than the first, is that you are never warned about the many Jewish areas of the city that you should avoid, of which there are plenty. I would feel more comfortable in the Arab market at any time than I would feel in Mea Shearim, a Jewish ultra-orthodox neighborhood. We went and walked through the neighborhood during the seminar, and we dressed modestly and appropriately for where we were but I still felt extremely uncomfortable the entire time. However, this was not something that was ever mentioned to her in her orientation.

The difference of presentation between Jewish and Arab neighborhoods or areas within Jerusalem is a problem because only Arab areas are presented in a negative light despite the fact the travelers should be warned about both because unsafe areas exist. Furthermore, neglecting to inform travelers about the Jewish areas that should be avoided is simply dangerous.

~Sarah

32 comments to Unsafe Areas?