Categories

A sample text widget

Etiam pulvinar consectetur dolor sed malesuada. Ut convallis euismod dolor nec pretium. Nunc ut tristique massa.

Nam sodales mi vitae dolor ullamcorper et vulputate enim accumsan. Morbi orci magna, tincidunt vitae molestie nec, molestie at mi. Nulla nulla lorem, suscipit in posuere in, interdum non magna.

During my time at SPNI…

During my time as an intern at SPNI I have emerged with knowledge that I can carry throughout my environmental studies, particularly with topics associated with community participation and engagement. My experiences at SPNI also have ignited a new interest in community gardens because of the potential they have to bolster and change community in a neighborhood. My internship was a mix of gardening and a new garden project in the Abu Tor neighborhood.

Interning with the Community Gardens department allowed me to engage with Jerusalem differently than any office internship probably could. Daily I made trips to several gardens around Jerusalem; most were in the Talpiot region. Each garden has its own story, from HaDavidka, which was transformed from a trash hub to a beautiful green space that continues to grow with vegetables and decorative plants to the Arnona garden, forming after the success of composters at the garden site. Like Izzy Ross explored in her “Normalcy” blog post, living in this city for 3 months is an intimidating thought. The garden work component of my internship, however, allowed me to integrate myself into the city and create a routine for myself. Traveling around the city weekly, to work in various gardens was an opportunity to meld myself within it. Revisiting these gardens week after week created familiar faces for me, and I felt myself becoming acquainted with people and the different neighborhoods in the city. Working in gardens, and speaking with the Garin Dvash (national service garden workers) and SPNI contacts (like those with the municipality) was very helpful in observing how other established gardens function, how they engage and attract members of the community, and how the gardens differ from one another.

I learned about many aspects of community gardens, from gardening to the work it takes to support a garden. I learned about mulch and types of composting, working with different soils, building fertile soil in places where the natural soil differs, learning tools and being resourceful to change conditions for a specific place. During garden visits, I observed active engagement with nature and social connections forming. I gained some local knowledge, learned more about Jerusalem, and how SPNI works to protect and preserve the landscape and natural environment and how issues are addressed/acknowledged.

Although this internship was challenging (language barriers, trouble navigating the city, different frustrations, etc) it was a pleasant experience. It is something that’s definitely going on my list of “things I’ll miss about Jerusalem.” When I travel to Ketura next February to study at the Arava Institute, you can catch me visiting the ever-evolving community gardens that now hold a place in my heart.

Mary Ann

Screen shot 2013-08-06 at 3.27.44 PMScreen shot 2013-08-06 at 3.24.48 PMScreen shot 2013-08-06 at 3.32.33 PM