These tahini cookies are popular in many countries and recipes for them abound. Containing no eggs, they can be easily adapted to vegan dietary requirements. In this version, we converted them to a gluten-free dough by mixing together coconut flour, potato starch, and rice flour, which yielded excellent results.
Yield:: 4 dozen cookies
½ cup tahini
6 T / 60 gr butter, melted
½ cup neutral vegetable oil
½ cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
½ coarsely ground walnuts
2 ½-3 cups flour + more for kneading
Confectioners sugar for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350° / 180°C.
- Beat tahini, melted butter, vegetable oil, sugar, and cinnamon until smooth and creamy.
- Gradually add in flour and when incorporated, add walnuts and knead into medium hard dough.
- Allow to rest in the fridge for twenty minutes to half hour.
- Break off walnut-sized pieces from the dough and shape into balls.
- Using your thumb, flatten slightly and place a walnut piece in the center.
- Place on prepared oven tray (parchment of silicon mat).
- Bake in oven for 25 minutes or until light golden.
- When cool, sprinkle generously with powdered sugar.