I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence. ~Frederick Douglass

August 17th, 2010

Yes, Mr. Douglass, I prefer this as well for myself, though it takes great courage – courage found not in your common follower.  For, it is quite painful to go against the grain, sometimes forsaking the conditional love of family and friends.  Who among us has this kind of courage?  And yet, dare we live life any other way?

The pre-med student who opens a bakery.  The 40-year old banker who becomes a travel writer.  The English major who pursues a career in figure skating.  The following  of our deepest passion.  Lucky are we who know well our passions, who have an inkling of what stirs deep within our hearts from which we never waver holding tight to that tiny voice.  We must be still to listen, those of us who are hard of hearing the voice within.  For others, the calling is loud, clear, undeniable.  To not follow would prove more painful than the scorn.

A Leap of Faith, it is sometimes called.  We leap with the faith that the earth will miraculously rise up to meet our feet.  But in that bare second, we find  ourselves flailing in mid-air – wondering, trusting, doubtful, faithful, and again unsure of why we leapt in the first place.  Is it real?  What was I thinking?  Maybe “they” were right.  What if I fail?  What if I am ridiculed?  What if no one believes in me?  What if I lose faith in myself?

Rise up, be joyful!  Fly, learn to sore and you will not need to feel the earth beneath your feet.  Your passion will fuel your flight until you reach a higher ground – ever faithful – with each scene that passes by.  Sore until you feel the breeze of belief beneath your arms and through your hair.  Never give up.  You owe it to yourself.  You owe it to your heart – a heart that never fails you, if you have the courage to listen.  Sh-h-h-h.

2 Responses to “I prefer to be true to myself, even at the hazard of incurring the ridicule of others, rather than to be false, and to incur my own abhorrence. ~Frederick Douglass”

1. Claudia on August 19, 2010 10:40 am

Beautiful! Let them laugh, later they will admire you!

2. Cameron Bodin on June 28, 2011 10:41 pm

An cool weblog post there mate . Thanks for the post !