“He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” ~Socrates

September 16th, 2012

I just finished taking a quiz (long story as to why it had to be taken on the weekend).  My brain feels like a section of wet cement with facts and figures carved into it that has hardened into concrete.  Suffice it to say, I forced a lot of information into a very small space in a very short amount of time.  Some of it didn’t stick.  Some of the “fill in the blanks” are still blank.

To sooth my exhausted brain, I considered reaching for something sugary.  (If how you feel determines what you eat, remember that what you eat determines  how you feel.)  But instead, I scooped up a small blanket and pillow and headed out to my backyard.

One of my cats came over to join me.  He curled up inside my belly and purred and stayed as long as he could in the warmth of the late afternoon sun.  He soon moved into the shade of the maple tree.  I watched him lick his toes with delight, sniff the breeze with eyes half-closed, and stare back at me as if to say, “Sorry, but I’ll have to love you from over here.”  Oh, cats.  They’re so much like humans in so many ways (minus the licking of the toes).

I watched blades of grass bounce in the breeze between us.  The September sun warmed my back.  A passing train rattled and honked in the distance.  Birds and crickets compared notes.

This, I thought, is the cure.  No piece of pastry, no candy or cookie, can make me feel this good or last this long.