“He is richest who is content with the least, for content is the wealth of nature.” ~Socrates

September 16th, 2012

I had just finished taking a quiz.  My brain felt like a section of wet cement with facts and figures carved into it, hardened in concrete. Suffice it to say, I forced a lot of information into a very small space in a very short amount of time. Some of it took. Some of the “fill in the blanks” are still blank.

To sooth my abused brain, I considered reaching for something sugary–if how you feel determines what you eat, remember that what you eat determines how you feel. But instead, I scooped up a small blanket and pillow and headed out to find a patch of grass in my backyard.

One of my two cats padded over to join me.  He curled up inside my belly and purred. He stayed as long as he could in the warmth of the late afternoon sun.  But soon he moved into the shade of the maple tree. I watched as he licked his toes with delight, sniffed the breeze with eyes half-closed, and stared back at me as if to say, in a stand-offish British accent, I imagine:

“Sorry, luv, but I’ll have to adore you from over here where I’m more comfortable.”

Oh, cats.  They’re so much like humans sometimes, minus the licking of the toes.

I watched blades of grass bounce in the breeze between us. The September sun warmed my back. A passing train rattled and honked in the distance. Birds and crickets compared notes.

This, I thought, is the cure.  No piece of pastry, no candy or cookie, can make me feel this good or last this long.