“Distance lends enchantment to the view.” ~Mark Twain

October 16th, 2012

An Austrian man, Felix Baumgartner, recently broke a record by completing a sky dive from 23 miles above the earth.   “When you’re standing there on top of the world, you become so humble…” he is quoted as saying.

I’ve never seen the earth from higher than your average airplane ride, but I get the same feeling when I travel by air, or even with both feet on the ground looking up at the sky on a clear night.

With that distant view of Earth in mind, either from space or from an airplane, I can more easily put my worries in perspective.  This practice helps relieve stress.

Will I even remember this problem two weeks from now?  One year or five years from now?  Will I ever look back and laugh? How significant is this one line in the mystery novel of my life?

How much will it cause me to grow and change?  Does it really matter?  Has it threatened my well-being?  My ability to breathe?  My ability to Love?  What part have I played?  If I were looking down from space, would I hold a different perspective?