“A pessimist sees only the dark side of the clouds and mopes; a philosopher sees both sides, and shrugs; an optimist doesn’t see the clouds at all – he’s walking on them.” ~Leonard Louis Levinson

January 28th, 2013

I have an inner guidance system.  My inner GPS.  (Guidance for Personal Sustainability)  It’s nothing mysterious; we all have it. I’m sure you’ve said at one time or another, “Man, something told me not to do that.”  or  “I should’ve listened to that little voice inside.”  My GPS is set to Joy or at least that’s my intended destination at any given moment.  If not joy, then I’ll settle for happiness, but I feel that happiness is a choice that I can make in every moment.  My emotions tell me when I get off course.  Or my GPS says “Recalculating!  Recalculating!”  or maybe your GPS says “Off route!  Off route!”  And then it gently guides you back with an English accent or whatever voice you’ve chosen.  It guides you back to your intended destination.  What is your intended destination?  Are you seeking joy or happiness at every turn? Why not?  Chronic negative thoughts or chronic negative self-talk can lead to illness.  It’s that subtler little voice inside that’s trying to guide us to our best and better selves.  Sometimes it’s hard to hear and it’s hard to know how to turn up the volume.  If you check in with it often, you’ll get in the habit of hearing that little voice and choosing to follow it.  It’s kind of like intuition.  I guess it IS intuition.  Guidance for Personal Sustainability.

Sometimes, we think we know better than our GPS how to get someplace.  We like to take short cuts.  But often that can lead us into an unexpected traffic jam or even a dead end.  We think we know how to get to happiness.  You know that saying, “Be careful what you wish for, it might come true.”   I know how to get happy, I can do such and such…and then you end up hurting yourself short-term or long-term.  Like, if only I just had this thing, or this person, or this drug.  That would be my short cut to happiness. It’s kind of like the glass half empty, the “if only I had” glass half empty.

But happiness can be right now.  How do we get to happiness right now?  That’s where the GPS comes in.  Our emotional guidance system.

If instead we concentrate on what we DO have: our health?  that’s a big one.  Loved ones?   Shelter?  Food, warmth. That’s a glass half full.  Or maybe that’s a glass very full and running over. Concentrate on the part of the glass that is full or maybe half-full. If we see it as only half-full, we can fill it up with thoughts of our blessings, with thoughts of what’s going right, with thoughts of who we love and are loved by…until our glass gets so tall, we’re walking on clouds.