“Life is amazingly good when it’s simple and amazingly simple when it’s good.” ~Terri Guillemets

March 29th, 2013

I should write a book called: When Bad Things Happen to “Should” People.  No, wait.  I’m already doing too much: full-time job, part-time classes, volunteer work, side hobbies, and housework.  Maybe when I retire.

I forget to remember that, even as I’m filling my life with want-to-do’s, I need to go at the speed of Life.  Spring is a good time to take stock of such things.  Buds become flowers at the speed of Life. They don’t rush to bloom.  Geese “V” north at the speed of Life (otherwise they’d lose some followers and fly back as a check mark).  The tide ebbs and flows, etc.  We look to nature to remind us of our natural pace (except for chipmunks).

When we rush or get pushed toward the “should’s” and “have-to’s” of life, bad things happen.  We get lost, confused, overwhelmed, bump our head, stub our toe, get fingers caught in the door, bite our tongue, or worse.  Fortunately, something beyond us keeps the breath going and the heart beating.

Let us simplify.  We live on only ONE planet.  We consist of only THREE things: Body, Mind, and–most of us agree–Spirit.
Body needs rest & nourishment to keep up.  (Nachos do not count as nourishment.)
Mind needs rest, entertainment, and quiet reflection to recover.  (Put down the Sudoku and Angry Birds.)
Spirit needs a quieted mind to be heard, to be our compass, to remind us of the speed of Life.

“Tension is who you think you should be.  Relaxation is who you are.”  ~Chinese Proverb

Try walking at the speed of Life.
Try eating at the speed of Life.
Your breath at rest will provide the pace.  🙂