I’m here!!!

So I have arrived in Amman!!!

D.C.

Orientation in D.C. was great! Very humid but the city was fun t explore for a few days! Got to do a little sight-seeing/hanging out. The hotel was really nice! The flight from Providence was pretty uneventful and short – but it was kinda cool since we were on an express jet thing that probably had only about 20-30 people!

Traveling to Amman:

– Get to Dulles Airport outside of D.C. at about 3:00 pm on Sunday

–> was checking my bag when they tell me that the program never paid for my ticket = my reservation was cancelled = my seat had been sold to someone else + everything was booked = might not be able to leave on that day with the rest of the group

= bad

but, miraculously, one of the kids on the program had been late getting to the bus that took us to the airport = the program director had called his cell = he had a record of her number = I was able to call her

–> after waiting for the airport people to talk to the travel agent, everything was finally worked out (I got to fly on the same flight as the rest of the group) but I had to wait to get a seat assignment

–> got a seat in the very back of the plane (separated for basically everyone on the group = okay but a little lonely/isolated) left the airport at about 6:30 pm

–> Six hour flight (got to see The Reader and some of He’s Not That Into You)!!

–> Heathrow @ 6:00 am (with time zones)

–> 8.5 hour layover in the airport!! Got real fish and chips from England!!! Fabulous accents!

–> 5 hour flight to Amman

–> visas, bags, security

–> bus

–> The Bateel Hotel (with advanced level students) = fabulous!!! The owner’s little son greeted us at the door with roses and baklava!!! I share a nice apartment with 3 other girls including a Smithie (small world, right?)!!! (We are responsible for most of our own cooking and we have already started to stock up on pita and other fabulous items!!!)

–> mini orientation meeting at nearby facility where the other students are staying (two buildings up the hill)

–> Bed. Finally. At around midnight or 12:20!

First official day in Amman!!!

Lots of orientation

Some time to explore during the late afternoon!!

The weather is hot, but it is a dry heat and there is a near constant breeze so it is comfortable in the shade and not too bad in the sun ( I know it’s only June, but I remain optimistic that the weather won’t get too too bad!!!). The city has a lot of character! It is very hilly and there are tons of small little shops. There aren’t really sidewalks and there’s quite a bit of litter on the ground but it is really cool to be in a place that is so different from the US!

Sometimes I feel like I really stick out as a foreigner/American, but there’s not too much to do about it! It’s really awkward speaking to Jordanians since I don’t know any Jordanian dialect and have to rely on Modern Standard (which I’m not fluent in anyway!).

Day 2 (Happy 1/2 Birthday to me and Paden!!)

Today we had a placement test and afterward I went to a little restaurant for falafel with a couple other students. It was really good! It was funny since they make the sandwiches in a line that resembles Subway! I took a taxi (first time here) with a few people and we got dropped off near the hotel (taxi drivers operate via landmarks – not street addresses) and on the walk back to the hotel my roommate and I found some hangars on the ground – perfect since we had planned on buying some (I know this is probs a little sketchy BUT a) we needed them b) we washed them c) recycling, right?)!!!

More details to come later!!!

8 Comments

1. WordPress › Error

There has been a critical error on this website.

Learn more about troubleshooting WordPress.