The following is the Table of Contents from the April 1998 edition of
Metamorphoses. Some of the selections are available on-line;
the complete edition, including the original language versions
for poetry, is available only in print.
- Translating Antonio Benítez-Rojo, Translation Seminar Lecture delivered at Mount Holyoke (Oct. ’97), page 8.
Adam J. Sorkin:
- “I Was of Three Minds”: Some Observations on Translating Poetry, page 19.
Edward Radzinsky, Translated from the Russian by Laszlo Tikos:
- The Princess Tarakonova, page 13.
Franz Kafka, Translated from the German by James Gibbs:
- A Message from the Emperor, page 50.
- A Fratricide, page 51.
Sara Lidman, Translated from the Swedish by Eva Claeson:
- Lovers of Svappavaara, page 53.
Prosper Mérimée, Translated from the French by Hélène Cantarella:
- Mateo Falcone, page 58.
- Shakespeare on Aliens Learning English, page 70.
Dante Alighieri, Translated from the Italian by W. S. Merwin:
- Purgatorio IX, page 86.
M. Lomonosov, Translated from the Russian by Dean Furbish:
- Ode from the Book of Job, page 96.
A Handful of Mushrooms: Poems by Emily Dickinson, Sylvia Plath, Richard Wilbur, W.S. Merwin, and Alessandro Ferace:
- Translations from the English by Alessandro Ferace, page 108.
- Translation from the Italian by Alessandro Ferace with Melinda Kennedy, page 118.
- Photograph by Lester Talkington, page 120.
Du Fu, Translated from the Chinee by William Mullen:
- Spring Prospect, page 122.
- From the Lake Tower, page 124.
Giacomo Leopardi, Translations from the Italian by David Bourbeau, Ron Banerjee, and W. S. Merwin:
- The Infinite, page 126.
Homer, Translations from the Greek by Robert Fagles, Robert Fitzgerald, H. S. Butcher, Andrew Lang, Richard Lattimore, Alexander Pope, A. V. Rieu, W. H. D. Rouse, Carolyn Smith, and T. E. Shaw, with commentaries by Carolyn Smith, John Keats, and Melinda Kennedy:
- Shifting Tides in Translation: A Comparison, page 130.
- Photographs: Siphnian Frieze at Delphi, detail, by Clarence Kennedy
- The Muse of Exile, page 152.
- Once Upon a Time, page 158.