Spring and Fall 2007
The following is the Table of Contents from the Spring and Fall 2007 edition of Metamorphoses, a special double issue on the Arab world. The complete edition, including the original language versions for the poetry, is only available in print.
- From the Editor-in-Chief, page 14.
- Twice Removed: The Question of Retranslation, page 175.
- Introduction: Narrating the Arab World through Translation, page 16.
- A Book, page 28.
- O Seeker of Knowledge, page 30.
- Repentance, page 32.
- To You I Stretch Forth the Palms of My Hands, page 34.
- Poppy Flowers, page 36.
‘Abdullah Ibn Al-Mu’Tazz, Introduced and translated from the Arabic by Suheil Laher:
- Untitled, from Tabaqat Al-Shu’Ara’ Al-Muhdahtin, page 38.
‘Ali Ja’Far Al-‘Allaq, Translated from the Arabic by Suheil Laher:
- The River, page 42.
Zeinab Assaf, Translated from the Arabic by Khaled Al-Masri:
- Funeral Prayer in Absentia, page 44.
Kadihm Al-Hijaj, Translated from the Arabic by Kadhim Al-Ali and Adil Al-Thamiry:
- One Change of Vowel Changes, page 74.
- A Whole World: Short Poems, page 74.
Loubna Handou, Translated from the Italian by Toshiya Kamei:
- Marocco (Morocco), page 94.
- Illustrating Morocco, page 96.
- Photographs by Robert G. Sullivan, page 97.
Hossam Fahr, Translated from the Arabic by Amani Hassan:
- A Face Behind Glass I, page 106.
- A Face Behind Glass II, page 107.
Ala Hlehel, Translated from the Arabic by Rima Hassouneh:
- Coexistence, page 114.
Nadine Shams, Translated from the Arabic by Tarek Shamma:
- Love Story, page 121.
Wafa Malih, Translated from the Arabic by Khaled Al-Masri:
- Looking into a Lover’s Eyes, page 124.
Abdulrahman Majeed Al-Rube’e, Translated from the Arabic by Abdulzahra Muhamad:
- The Ram, page 128.
Abd Al-Rahman Ibn Al-Faqih Uthman, Translated from the Arabic by Alex Cuffel:
- Excerpts from Murshid al-zuwwar ila qubur al-abrar, al-musanna al-Durr al-munazzam ziyara al-jabal al-Muqattam, page 138.
Larbi Batma, Introduced and translated from the Arabic by Ziad Bentahar:
- A Gnawa Adventure, from Arrahil, page 140.
Djura, Introduced and translated from the French by Patricia Frederick:
- From The Season of Daffodils:
- Excerpt from “Beneath the Veil . . . Algeria,” page 149.
- Excerpt from “The Prophet’s Sneeze,” page 153.
- Excerpt from “The Prophet’s Sneeze,” page 160.
- Kharjas from Muwashshahat in Arabic and Hebrew, page 166.
Ibn Zaydun, Translated from the Arabic into Spanish by Mahmud Sobh, translated from the Spanish into English by Mark Berg:
- Luscious Cordoba, page 178.
- Nostalgic Lover, page 178.
- Wine and Roses, page 178.
- After Absence, page 183.
- A Furtive Glance, page 183.
- A Secret, page 187.
- Hidden Suffering, page 187.
Tassadit Yacine, Translated from the French by Meriem Pages:
- Femmes, Espace et Creation dans le Monde Berbere, page 192.
- Women, Space and Creation in Berber Society, page 210.
- Review: The Wind in My Hair, Salwa Salem with Laura Maritano, page 228.
Robert G. Sullivan:
- Review: Homes of the Heart: A Ramallah Chronicle, Farouq Wadi, page 231.