Egypt

As you may have heard, an AMidEast student studying in Egypt was killed in a protest a few days ago. The situation in Egypt has escalated since then- many demonstrations have become violent- and the US State Department issued a Travel Warning for the country. Due to this, half of the AMidEast students studying there were evacuated from Cairo and arrived in Amman, Jordan today. (The other 20 students were sent to Morocco with the other AMidEast program). After classes, the majority of our program is going to meet up with the new students and help ease them into our Jordan experience. I have not seen any backlash in Amman from what is going on in Egypt, but I would be very interested to see the perspectives of the local newspapers or news stations. I’ve gotten a few emails from friends and family, but know that I am perfectly safe here! I’m still amazed at my location, though. Jordan is surrounded on every side by some form of chaos, yet the country itself has remained stable.

Map of Jordan in relation to Egypt

4 thoughts on “Egypt

1. I did not hear this–I am stunned that it was a student, like yourself, who was killed, but at the same time I am not shocked that demonstrations are still violent in Egypt. I’ve always wanted to go to Egypt and 3 years ago I had a trip planned there with a class, but it was cancelled due to the riots. I would have liked to see the social climate change since that time, but it seems things are still on a downward spiral there. I know you will make the new additions to your group feel very welcomed!

• My cousin and his girlfriend were actually in Egypt when the riots started and they had to get out quickly! Stay safe Eleana, but otherwise it seems like you’re having a great time 🙂

2. I’ve been following the unrest and demonstrations in Egypt. The education and study abroad blogs I read immediately wrote about the death of the student in Alexandria, an unfortunate accident. It’s a reminder to stay clear of demonstrations or unrest, especially in countries or regions that are experiencing contestations and turmoil.

3. Thank you for sharing this information with us; I did not hear about the student who was killed in a protest until now. That is very unfortunate, but not too shocking since deaths tend to go hand in hand with violent riots. I am relieved that the AMidEast students studying in Egypt are now studying in safer locations. Receiving worried emails from family and friends is common, even in safer situations. My mother has emailed me many of her concerns, warning me to be vigilant about pickpockets, reminding me to stay away from any riots or protests, etc.

Stay safe, Eleana!